I thought I would give y'all an update on my writing and how I process it all, and let you see into my brain a little. I want to share the good, the bad, and the ugly in hopes that maybe it will also help you just in everyday living. 

Okay, first, let me say I had no idea what all went into editing, and goodness is it a lot. Definitely not my favorite process, but one that must be done. When I was writing my book, I had no idea HOW much I was writing, and I was just focused on reaching enough words for a 350-page book. Well, haha um, my book is about as long as a 450-page novel to put things into perspective for you a little bit. 

This process of eliminating about 30k words is taking a lot longer than I would like, and I am finding myself marking out a lot, and scribbling out things that make me go, "What on earth were you thinking, Madison?" I find it easy to get discouraged, and I have found myself believing that it's "not at all good" way too much.

It is so easy to lose sight of why I write and focus on why I shouldn't because I feel like I'm not good enough and I won't ever get anywhere. Writing has its ups and downs that is one-hundred percent certain, and I have been through many ups and downs. 

The good news is I am over half way done with marking out what I don't like, and then I will move onto eliminating those parts. I'll let ya know how it goes haha. 

I've learned it is important to give your best in every area, even in editing, which has been a huge heart struggle for me. You have to keep going even when you make yourself cringe and even when you feel like your work is not even good enough to be called a book. Thankfully I think I am getting to the other side of that:) 

I also have a confession to make, I have started another book. I know, I am crazy, but it is a plot that I am SUPER excited and passionate about so I have begun the next book. I went to the bookstore and purchased some history books to help me out with my research...well, let's just say I spent an arm and a leg for them. So, if anyone wants to start a donation for my writing career for me, I would be forever grateful haha (I'm kidding...well sort of;).

Boy, let me tell ya researching also has its ups and downs, but doesn't everything? I have seen not everything in life is always going to be super fun and exciting. Even what you love will become mundane and hard, but it's how you push through it that is going to make all the difference, it's how to keep going when all you really want to do is give up and stop. It makes up your character, and it strengthens you. I have to remember it is not for me that I write, but for the glory of God and to maybe touch someone with my words. 

So, despite the ink stains and scribbles, I am going to keep working at it, I am going to keep editing, researching, and writing because it is what I love and am called to do. 

With tomorrow being Thanksgiving I can think of no better way to spend it than dwelling on what the Lord has done for me this year, and how he was grown me and stretched me. 
Love you all and hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving week filled with love and family!

~Madison Suzanne


Comments

Post a Comment